Welcome to the Town of Mercer!
Vintage photos courtesy of the Mercer Area Historical Society
The Town of Mercer is located in the “lakes region” of southern Iron County, WI along US Hwy 51. It borders the counties of Vilas to the east and Ashland to the west. Bordering towns include the Towns of Carey, Knight, Oma, and Sherman (Springstead) in Iron County; the Towns of Manitowish Waters and Winchester in Vilas County; and the Town of Agenda in Ashland County.
In 1894 the first train arrived in Mercer signaling the beginning of the early settlers, roads, mills, stores, and other businesses. Mercer was created as a district of the town of Vaughn in 1908 and established as a Town on the 26th of February 1909. The first town meeting was held in April of 1909.
There are approximately 105 lakes plus a major portion of the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage (13,545 acres) within the town boundaries. The Turtle and Flambeau rivers flow into the Turtle Flambeau Flowage, the sixth largest body of water in the state of Wisconsin.
Mercer is known for the natural beauty of its surroundings, offering tension free lifestyles for all ages, recreation trails, an excellent school system, library, medical facilities, grocery and other retail stores. Mercer’s “northwoods character” and lake country ambiance continues to draw an increasing number of permanent residents and visitors each year.
|Sign-Up Here for Updates|